Manager (Grocery Store Operations)
The Manager – Grocery Store Operations (GSM) is required to provide support for the General Manager and focus on direction for the entire work team.
The GSM works under the direction of the General Manager to ensure that the company procedures are adhered to.
The GSM is to be familiar with and competent in the operation of all the company’s ATM, EFTPOS, Point of Sale system, computers and printers.
The GSM will assume the duties of overseeing the operation of the Grocery Store and it’s stock control, ordering and staffing and will consult and advise the General Manager of all matters relating to these areas.
In periods of the General Manager’s absence the GSM will assume the daily operational duties of the General Manager. (If deemed by the General Manager to be suitable as a relief person for this position).
Duties will vary however the main features of the role will involve:
• Maintaining open communication with the General Manager
• Developing and retaining staff
• Ensuring your team deliver good customer service
• Meet operational expectations by implementing and maintaining high retail standards
• Dealing with customer complaints
• Serving customers
• Manage inventories throughout the store
• Ordering of merchandise
• Directs staff in stacking merchandise
• Oversee delivery and ensure accurate recording of goods received and sold
• Ensure staff comply with safety and security protocols
• Maintain stock levels and control accurate inventory to minimise costs
A range of skills are required, notably:
• The ability to work as part of a team
• The ability to lead and motivate when necessary
• Excellent communication and people skills
• A strong commitment to customer service
• The ability to work under pressure and handle challenging situations
• Confidence, drive and enthusiasm
• Decision making ability and a sense of responsibility
Hours and Environment: The hours will vary depending on the circumstances of any given day but will usually be between 7:30am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday and 7:30- 12:00pm Saturday or as directed by the General Manager.
Variations may occur for a range of reasons:
• The General Manager may be absent
• Barge arrival times may vary
• Service people may need access to the store outside of trading times
The GSM typically does not need to meet any specific education requirements however competency in maths, cash handling, a good knowledge of information technology and computer operation skills are essential.
Prior experience in a retail environment is essential, previous community retail experience is preferred but not essential.