General Manager – Waringarri Radio
About Waringarri Radio
Waringarri Radio 6WR is part of the Waringarri Media Aboriginal Corporation, a successfully locally owned not-for-profit organisation operating for over 25 years.
Waringarri Radio is the number one station in the East Kimberley, and is known for effectively supporting the culture, traditions and language of the local area. On top of providing quality radio service, the key objectives of the organisation are to reinforce indigenous cultural identity, promote trust and friendship among Aboriginal people and the wider Australian community, and provide training and employment to Aboriginal people.
Waringarri Radio 6WR is committed to achieving excellence through the following objectives:
• The provision of access to local radio programming to Aboriginal Community groups in Kununurra and surrounding areas.
• The production of radio programmes on local Aboriginal and community issues which can then be broadcast on other radio stations.
• The provision of access to other forms of media such as television by Aboriginal community groups in Kununurra and surrounding areas.
• The provision of training to Aboriginal people in various aspects of media.
• The promotion of Aboriginal culture and tradition.
• The promotion of trust and friendship among Aboriginal people and the wider Australian community.
Waringarri broadcasts to the major towns and remote grazing and outback communities of Australia’s East Kimberley region, which straddles the West Australian and Northern Territory borders.
In more than 25 years of delivering full-time, 24-hour, 7 day a week operation, Waringarri Radio has secured the continuing loyalty of thousands of East Kimberley listeners.
- Manage the effective and efficient day-to-day operations of Waringarri Media in accordance with the strategic, business plans and policies of the Board.
- Report directly to the Board of directors and conduct regular directors’ meetings.
- Provide management advice to the Board and implement directives.
- Recruit and supervise staff and Volunteers.
- Advise the Board of Directors on staffing needs and structures according to corporation’s policy and procedure.
- Research funding sources, establish strategies to approach funders submit proposals and administer fundraising records and documentation to ensure the financial viability of Waringarri Aboriginal Media.
- Recommend yearly budget for Board approval and manage organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations.
- Manage contractual agreements on behalf of Waringarri media with contractors and funding agencies in accordance with policies and budget.
- Promote, publicise and seek active support for the Corporation.
- Coordinate and implement a sponsorship and marketing strategy for the station and tourist radio.
- Secure sponsorship for programs and airtime.
- Undertake projects that serve to promote the image of the radio station.
- Research and ensure staff and Board have sufficient and up-to-date information about progress of Corporation.
- In consultation with the Chair, represent Waringarri Media to the external parties as an official spokesperson by fostering and maintaining liaison with State and Federal Government departments and other bodies whose activities may affect the interest of the Corporation.
- Every five years submit a detailed license renewal to ACMA.
- Manage all assets of Waringarri Media according to policies and procedure.
- Observe Occupational Health and safety at workplace