Docker River community is located in the Outback Way in the MacDonnell Shire 260 km west of Yulara and about 670km from Alice Springs which is the nearest major shopping centre. The community has a population of about 250 Aboriginal people and 30 or so non-Aboriginal people. Our community is mainly made up of Pitjantjatjara people.
Our community is a dry community which is strictly enforced. There is a health clinic, primary and secondary school, shire office, arts centre, the nearest police station is over the border in WA. There is no mobile phone reception, however the store has a land line connection and satellite Internet.
Our store is the social hub of the community, almost everyone goes there at least once a day. So apart from providing food security it is a place where the community gather and meets for a chat and kids play. This is very important and we want the store and the area around the store to be a nice community area.
The Duty Manager is responsible for:
- Supporting the store manager as directed and acting as the store manager when the manager is on leave
- Delivery of food security
- Effectively operating the store for long term viability
- Store staffing
- Customer service and community engagement
- Compliance to state/territory laws and regulations.
- Provision of key services to the community