Unlock Literacy Coordinator
This position is part-time (0.5FTE), based in Alice Springs with regular travel.
Primary Purpose of the Position
Unlock Literacy is an evidence-based model, developed by World Vision International and implemented in over 15 countries worldwide, with the aim of improving literacy levels for ‘early readers’ – children in the first few years of primary school. The model promotes five core reading skills (alphabet knowledge, phonemic awareness, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension) through four inter-linked platforms (teacher support, tools for monitoring student progress, teaching and learning materials development and community action).
This role will support the ongoing adaptation of Unlock Literacy and work to embed this approach across WYDAC’s programs together with World Vision Australia, as WYDAC’s partner organisation on the project.
You will be based in Alice Springs and be an important member of WYDAC and World Vision Australia’s joint Unlock Literacy team, reporting to both the Unlock Literacy Project Manager (World Vision) and Youth Development Manager (WYDAC). You will regularly visit WYDAC programs and provide ongoing coaching and support to youth program staff, as well as other areas, to run literacy activities with children and young people.
This may include developing activity plans or games, sourcing required materials for WYDAC teams, organising special events, preparing workshops, training sessions and guidance materials for staff to support culturally strong literacy initiatives in Warlpiri communities.
The Unlock Literacy Coordinator reports directly to the Youth Development Manager.
The following areas are critical to the role and constitute the primary duties required to be successful in fulfilling the duties associated with this position and other duties as directed.
• Create opportunities to embed the Unlock Literacy model within WYDAC’s programs as well as with other community stakeholders
• Facilitate regular adaptation workshops with youth workers and community members designed to produce resources and develop activity plans with youth development teams
• Coordinate WYDAC participation in joint work-planning and bi-monthly reflection sessions with World Vision staff to support ongoing program adaptation and learning
• Report back to Warlpiri communities through reference group meetings and WYDAC board meetings and incorporate feedback into project adaptation and implementation
• Prepare monthly reports including activity and participation data and stories from project activities
that may be used for project communications and fundraising
• Support WYDAC Youth Services team to collect participation data and stories of impact which relate to Unlock Literacy activities