Community Development Worker – Youth and Families
This position supports the delivery of youth support and family mental health support
programs on remote central Australian communities. This position will promote the
personal, social and educational development of children and young people; assist
Aboriginal families to support children and youth at risk, and assist children/youth and
their families to engage positively with appropriate services.
The community development worker – Youth and Families will be based in Alice
Springs with regular travel to the designated communities (out of Alice Springs 3 to 5
days in a week, 3 weeks in every 5).
The Community Development Field Worker will be accountable to the Management
Team, and will work in partnership with other Youth and Families team members.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support to children/youth and their families consistent with the
objectives and requirements of Waltja’s Reconnect and Family Mental Health
Support Service programs. Support is to be based upon strengths-based
approach, the principles of self-determination, and respect for Aboriginal
people, communities and culture.
- Assist Aboriginal children/youth and their families to access other support,
services and resources as required, and to actively engage in community and
- Engage Aboriginal people from each community wherever possible as
mentors, advisers, and co-workers to assist with Waltja’s service delivery,
and support skills development of community members related to the
- Work collaboratively with other local service providers, agencies and
institutions, to support young people and families at risk, to provide referrals,
and to plan events and activities consistent with Waltja’s program objectives.
- Support Aboriginal decision making about the development, management
and evaluation of Waltja’s programs and support Aboriginal employment in
research where possible.
- Complete and provide appropriate and up-to-date documentation related to
community visits, travel plans, data reporting, and client/community support
provided or requested. Where appropriate assist in the preparation of
submissions for external funding.
- Work as part of Waltja’s team across all projects. Work together with other
staff, Management and elected Board Members. Support and mentor junior
staff where relevant. Participate in Waltja events and meetings as directed.
- Represent Waltja at Conferences, Seminars, Meetings, and Committees and in
other community forums.
- Identify training and professional needs/opportunities, and undertake
training as directed by Management Team.
- A commitment to comply with all Waltja Policy and Procedures and Code of Conduct.